Extra Nutritional Support for the Newborn Foal
The broodmare can provide all the foal’s nutritional requirements for growth, development and immune protection up to three months of life. Getting everything right for the mare and foal can be challenging; how this period from birth through to weaning is managed can significantly impact the future performance and health of the young horse read more.
First and foremost, it’s important to ensure that the newborn foal receives good quality colostrum which will provide the foal with a vital source of antibodies, necessary for initial protection from disease. Thereafter the main source of nutrition for the nursing foal is mare’s milk. Read more about the importance of colostrum
In the first few weeks of life the foal is hugely reliant upon the mare for all its nutritional requirements and in an ideal world the mare will be able to meet these and your foal will thrive. Situations can occur where there is a need to step in and supplement the young foal, for example, foals that fail to thrive or those that have had post-foaling complications.
Foran Equine Friska Foal is a palatable multi-vitamin and prebiotic syrup specifically designed to support foal development and gut health. Foran Equine Friska Foal contains:
- Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant. The mare’s intake is not always reflective of the foal’s status and deficiencies can result in poor skin and coat quality, night blindness and an compromised immune system.
- Vitamin D is essential in the foal’s diet and plays a key role in calcium phosphorus homeostasis and therefore bone health.
- Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant providing key support to the foal’s immune system, nerves and also muscle function.
- Folic Acid (B9) and B12 together have a key role in haemoglobin function
- Vitamin B1, B2, B6, and biotin to support energy metabolism.
- Inulin which supports the growing microbiome in the hind gut. It is well known that as the foal matures having a diverse microbiome can have a multitude of digestive and overall general wellbeing benefits.
Introducing the foal to a suitable creep ration from as early as 2 weeks is recommended. Connolly’s RED MILLS Foal Pellet provides a supply of extra protein, energy, vitamins and minerals to support growth and development. They are ideal for ill thrifty foals including those that have been orphaned or are not receiving sufficient milk.